Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Love Affair

I heard an aging man speak once about the love affair that he had with his wife. She had passed on, but this man stood before his audience in tears recounting the first time that he ever saw her. As she walked toward this man and his friend, he looked to the friend and said something to the effect of, "Wow, who is that?" The friend looked to this man and informed him of who she was and that she was engaged. The man looked backed to his friend and said, "Not anymore." That was a fitting beginning to what I have been told was truly a great love. After I heard the man speak I was told of the circumstances that made his tears even more moving. In his wife's later years he had to take complete care of her. She could do nothing without his help, but the man loved her through those times as much as he did when they were young lovers.

This man was full of love. I did not know him personally, but those around me that knew him said that his love affair with his Lord was greater than the love affair that he had with his wife. That is how I want to know our Lord. I want to fall into a deep, and passionate love affair with our Lord. Can you imagine what this would be like? Women enjoy a great love movie, and truth be told, men also seek after the exhilaration that love offers. Think of the greatest love you have experienced. Think of the greatest love that you have witnessed. Then imagine what it would be like to experience that type of love relationship between yourself and the heavenly father.

Maybe this in some small way echoes what Paul said in Philippians 3:10.
"I want to Christ, and the power of his resurrection..."

I think of this and aspire to it. The thing about Christians is that no matter how much the have it together, or in some cases act as if they have it together, they are still sinners in need of the Lord's mercy. I am the chief of sinners, and I struggle to follow him daily, but this is why the thought of living a love affair with our Lord appeals so much to me.